Sometimes you want something light for breakfast that makes you feel as if you have a square meal. It is healthy and nutrition plus it also has bacon. The warmth of the cooked peppers and onions, bacon, eggs goes well with the refreshing crunch of the lettuce.
I love it so much that I have made it for dinner so many times and am sure you will too when you try it.
Loaded Breakfast SaladPrint This
TOOLS & INGREDIENTS
Salad & Sautéd Vegetables
1 medium iceberg lettuce, shredded
Romaine lettuce would work just as good if not better, but you can use any lettuce or salad greens you like.
70g – 100g of feta cheese, cubed -> around 1 cup
2 medium tomatoes, sliced -> around 1/2 a cup
I prefer sweet round tomatoes but any tomatoes that are juicy and slightly tart are good enough.
1 medium bell pepper, diced
I used green bell peppers, but red, yellow or any other colour would work.
- 1 medium onion, diced -> I used a red onion but any kind of onion/shallot would work.
- 70g – 100g of button mushrooms, sliced (optional) -> around 1 – 1 1/2 cups
- 100g of bacon (optional)
I like collar bacon for this, but you can use your fave cuts.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil -> use any cooking oil you like
- 1/2 a tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 a tablespoon of soy sauce -> you can use dark or light whichever you prefer
I like dark soy sauce, it tastes richer
- 2 dashes of Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Salt and pepper taste
- 1/2 a cup of mayonnaise (recipe here)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
Make the salad dressing
- Mix the mayonnaise, parsley, mustard, Worcestershire in a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper, then set aside. It tastes best when refrigerated for a few hours up to overnight, this helps the flavours meld and the dry parsley slightly hydrate. However, you can use it immediately if in a hurry.
Boil(Steam) the Eggs
- Fill the pan/pot to about an inch with cold water.
- Bring the water to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Gently add in the eggs, if you have a steam insert you can put the eggs in it and put it in the pan/pot.
- Cover the pot/pan and set your timer to 12 minutes.
- After the 12 minutes uncover and dip the eggs in ice cold water to stop them from cooking further. The eggs will be so easy to peel without the grey ring around the yolk or a rubbery egg white.
Sauté the onions and peppers
- Add the oil to a pan and heat on medium high, if you are using fatty bacon cuts, ie streaky bacon you can skip this step.
- Add in the bacon and fry for around a minute until they are almost cooked but not crispy. In this recipe, I like my bacon soft not crispy.
- Add in the diced onion and fry for another minute or so until the onions just start to soften.
- Add in the bell pepper, mushrooms, red wine vinegar and soy sauce and cook for a few minutes until they are soft.
- You may add a 2 – 3 dashes of Worcestershire sauce to bring out the meaty flavours, sauté for a few seconds and set aside.
Making the salad
- On a plate or salad bowl, place the lettuce leaves, tomatoes and sliced hard boiled egg as a bed for the topping. Top with the mayo mustard dressing, sautéd vegetables and feta. I like to season with salt and paper on each layer except the layer with the sautéd vegetables because they were already seasoned but you can season according to your taste.