If you do not mind a bit of cooking, and love the idea of making your own pizza sauce, this is the recipe for you. It is quick, easy and versatile. It does not hurt that it almost tastes like the kind that has been simmering down for hours. Great on pizza or as a pasta sauce, or spread on toast if that is your thing.
Try it, then use it on your homemade pizza.
Chunky Pizza SaucePrint This
TOOLS & INGREDIENTS
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced -> around 1/4 cup
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced -> around 1 tablespoon
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced -> around 1/2 a cup
- 1/4 cup (55g) of tomato paste
- 1 cup of chicken broth
If you do not have chicken broth, you can use 1 cup of white wine or 1 cup of water mixed with a tablespoon of olive oil/butter – I used the latter with olive oil. Alternatively u can use 1 chicken bullion cube added to a cup of hot water.
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 a teaspoon on sugar
- 1/2 a teaspoon of dry basil
- 1/2 a teaspoon of oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil onto a hot pan over medium heat and let the oil get hot.
- Once the oil starts shimmering, add the onions and sauté for a minute or so, until the onions soften.
- Add in the minced garlic and stir. Cook until garlic is fragrant.
- Deglaze the pan. Pour in a little of the broth and swiftly scrape the bottom of the pan as the broth comes to a boil.
- Add in the diced tomatoes followed by the remaining broth.
- Cook the tomatoes down until they soften and the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add in the tomato paste, stir and reduce the heat to low.
- Add the sugar, salt black pepper, basil, oregano and paprika then simmer for 15 – 30 minutes.
- Use it on your pizza as a pasta sauce.